Thursday 7 February 2013

What is it to be an art historian?

"As an art historian, you have to decode the story behind the painting or the sculpture", said the professor while enlightening us with the Buddhist art of ancient India. Art historian, I smiled at myself and wondered, would I be qualified to call myself an art historian at the end of six months, when I would have only touched very superficially in the course of 20 lectures the various art forms of India? The answer would be a strict no. How could I even dare to proclaim a territory as mine when I have not even mastered the fundamentals.

History of art is not just the accounts of various art forms at different epochs but concerns the social history of the period too. It is a way of revisiting the society prevalent at that time through art. Thus, what is art? Isn't it an expression of a personal or a collective consciousness reflecting the society? Atleast, this is what I have learnt within a span of 3 lectures that I attended in Art and Culture class. 

Until recently, and as a student in school, I had a strong dislike for ancient history. I had neither any curiosity nor interest in the empires that ruled for ages in my country. My History books would be fraught with details of innumerable kingdoms in various parts of India that controlled the Indian territory, much to my annoyance. Back then, I had no reason to remember those who might have been my ancestors, they were simply so far and distant. Besides, the factual details bombarded in the books never seemed fascinating. 

This attitude, however, has changed. The seed of interest in ancient past has been sown through my History of art classes. The lectures have been nurturing my interest. I discovered, how beautifully carved sculptures can be used to narrate history of ancient times or of any era. While learning the Buddhist art form, not only do we learn how the sculptures were done but equally essential is to learn its historical context. The moment the piece of art is denuded of its historical context, it remains no more than a piece of art, which could be admired only aesthetically. The historical framework adds a vision to the piece of art which becomes more relevant. It tells a story of the ways of living of people, their beliefs, that created a whole of a civilization. A story, which we have been carrying forward through ages. 

Today, while waiting for the lecture to begin, I overheard my fellow art historian, so to say, she was giving a reason for having chosen this course. She said, " This is wonderful, not just because you are learning about various art forms but it's like going back to the roots and knowing who you are." From then on these last words remain etched in my head. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

 The last time, in a very long time,  I was filled with awe,  was when I witnessed pure joy. The innocent cry  of a four years old  calling ...