Saturday 15 December 2012

The Yo Yo phenomenon

Nowadays anyone can be a star. So many have their five minutes of fame. But the question arises, for how many, this 5 minutes last longer. Yesterday, I had been to a birthday party. It wasn't the usual birthday event. The birthday girl had invited her friends and family for the concert of the most recent phenomenon in the Indian music industry, Honey Singh, or should I add YO YO to his name as he is known among his fans. Wherever you go these days, to clubs, pubs, weddings, the event is not enough if they don't play Honey Singh's songs.
Personally, I had heard his name before and his songs too, but they never appealed to me. I was aware of his fame which in my opinion has been contributed majorly by the Punjabi crowd. His songs are mostly Punjabi songs. But it was only yesterday that I witnessed how popular a star he has become. The club which has never seen so many heads in the premises before, was flooded with people. Even if there was no space inside, people were ready to sneak their way in just to get a glimpse of the YO YO Honey Singh. Young girls, boys, kids, uncles and aunties were swooning to his numbers. Not to my surprise, all of them had learnt the songs by heart to sing along with their recently-got-popular star.  We waited outside the entrance since it was actually a herculean task to get in, I heard this girl who had convinced her friends ( who seemed disinterested in the star) to come with her so that she could have a glimpse of the revered YO YO. As soon he was on his way to enter the club ( and we were right there at the entrance with this girl) the girl could have almost fainted. Thanks to her friends who were with her while she was dazed. Nevertheless, she wasn't the only one, with her their were hundreds who were dazzled by the sight. 
The Yo Yo performed for an hour or so and left the crowd wanting for more. While many would have been disappointed but I had a sigh of relief as it started getting less suffocating. People scattered here and there, some left, some still danced on to the songs played by the DJ. This was my first Yo Yo experience, but I just wonder for how long can he retain his popularity, I guess at least till the time Punjabis are there, he would anyways have a following. 

Here's a piece from the rapper Yo Yo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZqSL0QgfTQ0

No comments:

Post a Comment

 The last time, in a very long time,  I was filled with awe,  was when I witnessed pure joy. The innocent cry  of a four years old  calling ...